Holistic state planning from 2024 likely: CM

ITANAGAR, Sept 28: A new and holistic process of planning will be in place for the state Govt to ensure foolproof planning and implementation, Chief Minister Pema Khandu revealed on Thursday.

Speaking at the launching ceremony of two-day state level workshop on ‘Panchayat Development Index (PDI) and PPC-2023’ here, Khandu said that planning is the foundation for people centric programmes that the state Govt implements to achieve holistic development across the length and breadth of the state.

“At the national level Prime Minister Narendra Modi says that India will develop only when North East develops. Here in the state, we say Arunachal will develop only when its villages develop,” he said.

Emphasizing that traditional method of compiling the state plan and the state budget has to be changed for better outcome, Khandu informed that the state Govt is preparing a roadmap for its planning process that will be rolled out probably by next year and urged the PRI members, especially of gram sabha to equip themselves with all basics of planning and implementation.

He said that this workshop with technical sessions by experts from Delhi is the best platform for PRI members to gain knowledge and expertise on nitty-gritties of planning and programme implementation at the grassroots level.

“From across the state you have come to this workshop. Don’t shy to admit ignorance. Clear your doubts. Subject experts have come all the way from Union Panchayati Raj Ministry. Question them. Equip yourself to deliver once you are back in your villages,” Khandu advised.

He explained that the PDI is a unique statistical instrument evolved by the Centre to measure progress of a gram panchayat (GP) at nine thematic areas. They are poverty free and enhanced livelihoods village, healthy village, child friendly village, water sufficient village, clean and green village, self-sufficient infrastructure in village, socially just and socially secured panchayat, village with good governance and women friendly village.

Khandu urged all stakeholders to upload and update correct data to the PDI portal so that the correct picture of the village or gram sabha is portrayed based on which the GoAP will make plans and programmes.

He informed that PDI is a multi-domain and multi-sectoral index that is intended to be used to assess the overall holistic development, performance and progress of panchayats. It takes into account various socio-economic indicators and parameters to gauge the well-being and development status of local communities within the jurisdiction of a panchayat.

“Incorrect projection of data will hamper proper planning process. So never hide anything even if it portrays a bad image of your panchayat,” Khandu insisted.

He mentioned the immediate areas where PRIs should focus are those related to panchayat development plans, PDI, localization and achievement of sustainable development goals.

Expressing concerns over non-submission of utilization certificates by most of the PRIs that reflected poor performance, Khandu reminded that while 70% of the Govt grant has been released to the PRIs, the release of remaining 30% is based on performance of the respective PRIs.

“I see only few PRIs including those of Longding and East Kameng districts have performed well so far. I urge upon other districts to buckle up and start performing lest they lose out on remaining 30% grant,” he reasoned.

Khandu, however, advised the state’s Panchayati Raj department to consider release of 30% grant on pro-data basis for once so that non-performing PRIs do not lose out on their share.

Panchayati Raj Minister Bamang Felix, MP Tapir Gao, chief secretary Dharmendra, Union Panchayati Raj Ministry director Ramit Maurya, among others, attended the event. (CMO)

Related posts