Arunachal joins 21-day lockdown as COVID-19 cases up to 562 in India

  • All 6 state samples found negative: Dr Jampa

By Pradeep Kumar

NAHARLAGUN, Mar 25: Arunachal Pradesh joined 21-day nationwide lockdown since Tuesday midnight in response to a plea of Prime Minister Narendra Modi though it brought everything except essential services to a halt.

Almost all shops except pharmacies downed their shutters while NH-415, the lifeline of Capital Complex, which commonly records hour-long traffic congestion, looked deserted on Wednesday with few private cars, bikes besides vehicles of police and magistrate plying.

The unprecedented move with curfew like situation aimed at preventing the pandemic virus, the PM had said and warned that that if the lockdown is not observed it would take India 21 years back. Exhorting the people not to panic, he had assured all essential commodities like medicines and milk would be available during the shutdown.

The picture of an ambulance carrying a patient from Tomo Riba Institute of Health & Medical Sciences (TRIMHS) OPD doing round in WhatSaap confused many people, and this editor also received few calls to confirm its authenticity.

When contacted, state surveillance officer Dr L Jampa said that it was a mock drill conducted on March 22 to assess preparedness to deal with novel Coronavirus, if detected. Making light of the picture, he reiterated his plea to the people not to confuse or believe any rumours as the entire system of health & family welfare department has been doing its best to prevent outbreak of Coronavirus.

Such exercise was conducted in all hospitals across the state identified to deal with the virus, Dr Jampa told this daily, adding no COVID-19 case has been detected in the state so far. Moreover, all five samples sent to Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR), NE Regional Medical Research Centre, Dibrugarh were found negative. However, another sample sent by the Army from its Tengapani camp in West Kameng district directly to Guwahati which has also been negative.

Agency adds from New Delhi:  India’s positive novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) cases rose to 562 and death of 11 with a 54-year-old infected with dying at a hospital here in the early hours of Wednesday, the first death recorded in Tamil Nadu due to the contagion, state Health Minister C Vijayabaskar said. The man had a medical history of prolonged illness with “uncontrolled diabetes,” he added.

Union Minister Prakash Javadekar on Wednesday said people belonging to BPL across India will be given wheat at Rs 2 and rice at Rs 3 per kg and this concessional rates will be applicable for next three months for 80 crore people. The contractual labourers will be given their salaries, he said.

India has ordered its billion-plus population to stay inside for 21 days, bringing a third of world population under lockdown as pandemic COVID-19 forced Japan to postpone the Olympics until next year. Financial markets soared after a brutal month as the US Congress looked set to pass a stimulus bill, joining the world’s central banks in combating the crisis with major injections of cash while Britain’s Prince Charles tests positive while Prince of Wales, Charles on Wednesday tested COVID-19 positive, BBC reported.

The Duchess of Cornwall, 72, was tested but does not have the virus. Clarence House said Charles and Camilla were now self-isolating at Balmoral, adding the prince “has been working at home throughout the last few days”.  Charles is next in line of succession. The Queen of England, however, has not tested positive for the virus.

Related posts